Travel

Travel
Travel

San Francisco

San Francisco
San Francisco

Laugh With Me

Laugh With Me
Laugh With Me

London Town

Being abroad is, frankly, exhausting. I know you might want to hit me for saying that, but hear me out - it's the good, satisfying kind of exhausting. It's the buying groceries to fill up the fridge, figuring out local phone plans, exploring the town, pinpointing a schedule, trying to get a grasp on the currency, meeting new people and understanding a new culture, kind of exhausting.

Back in junior year of high school, my English Literature teacher was obsessed with Henry David Thoreau and his quote, "I want to suck out all the marrow of life." And right now, there's no better phrase to describe how I'm feeling and what I'm doing. 2014, you are starting out with a good record. I don't dislike you, not one bit.
My family started our grand Euro-venture in good old Londontown. Although it was the worst weather we battled through on the entire trip and although my feet pretty much died on me after I forced them through an epically long walk, London made quite the impression on me. Charming and colorful (especially against all that overcast gray!) and so very old-school and classic, it was the city that felt most "for me." I was enamored with Rome & enchanted by Paris, but London - London felt the most Caroline. So it's a good thing I'm in this area for awhile.

Our first day was packed with activity. We headed out bright and early, when no one was out in the streets and the night was only gradually disappearing to the day. Fittingly, I felt like I had London all to myself, and that was quite close to perfection. We made our way through the wind and the rain towards Big Ben and Parliament, caught a peek of The London Eye, strolled (hobbled) along the River Thames, said hello to Westminster Abbey, and then headed towards Buckingham Palace. As luck would(n't) have it, the changing of the guard was canceled due to the weather, and so we returned to our hotel and enjoyed a long, blissful nap before taking a spin on the splendorous London Eye, and then capping off the day with a dinner at bustling Chinatown. All in a day's work, folks.

Up next: ROMA for NYE!

20 comments

  1. I don't hate you for saying so. It is true. But what lovely pictures.
    www.wearflowersinyourhair.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY hear you on the travel-is-exhausting front! I tell myself that means I'm doing it right, whatever that means. ;) I love London; the weather was really similar when I was there a few weeks ago. Rain and dank and dark, but still... it's London and no amount of bad weather can take away its charm and character! Looks like you had a wonderful time! (I've never been on the Eye; did you find that it was worth it for the ticket?)

    Cheers!
    Kate

    Artsy Abroad // http://artsyabroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! I want to go to England so badly! Looks like you had a great time (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, some of my best-ever sleeps were had after a full day of adventuring and then crashing, face first, into a hostel bed. My motto while running through Europe was that hostel amenities didn't really matter cause you usually were so exhausted (or, er, drunk) by the time you got home that you didn't care. Glad to see you're having a wonderful time already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww i heart this!! I love london!!! you and your family are sooo so adorable!! omgosh your parents are so cute i can't even!!

    and i'm so with you. i always feel like i need a vacation from my vacations. unless of course i'm in hawaii. then no i don't. hahaha. but most definitely from european vacays tehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You covered a lot of ground there!!! Wow your feet must have been throbbing (a sign of a good trip)! So jealous you're living there right now. London is an amazing city full of so many things to do, your pics remind me of my time studying there while in college. I need to get there again, savor it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful pictures, so jealous you got to go there! Lol I will go there someday!
    xoxo
    http://littlethingsandelephants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of my fondest memories are from studying abroad. Girl, you're gonna love it!
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeeeeek! This year is going to be stupendous for you! [And I'm going to sound like a granny for saying this, but your parents must be so proud of you <3 ]

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow , nice ! Enjoy !
    http://www.melolimparfaite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I want to suck all the marrow out of life" Wow what an awesome quote!! I love it and agree whole heartedly. Looks like you had fun in London - I was there years ago and really loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, everything looks amazing, I bet you had a great time, you look so happy!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love London! I was there last summer and can't wait to go back! Beautiful pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These pictures just make my heart happy! I can't wait to go and visit (hopefully) someday!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like so much fun! Beautiful photos!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is true that traveling, especially abroad can be exhausting. However, the photos are beautiful and it looks like so much fun! I'm hosting a great giveaway on my site, I'd love for you to enter!
    xo Dina
    http://www.sweetestsomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, you actually got on the Eye?! I can't even do a normal carousel, let alone one that is massively huge (terrified of heights). I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I've never been abroad and I'm SO incredibly jealous! I love your photos--the fish and chips one, and the one of the very top of the gold statue in front of the ominous grey clouds are both lovely. I'm so glad you're loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love seeing London through other people's eyes, I'm glad you had an amazing time there :)

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  20. totally agree that europe is exhausting. there's just so much to do and see and you don't want to waste a minute! i think i was tired the entire time i lived there because i never wanted to miss out on anything!

    ReplyDelete

your comments truly make my day! :)
thank you!

xx Caroline